Thursday, April 28, 2016

W: Women/World/Women in the World/ of the World/ for the World

Let me catch you before you think that I forgot I'd already posted W yesterday. No, I haven't. This post is a surprise entry, well, it was a surprise for me too. I'd asked Vee to do a guest post on my blog, when I was at P. But Vee, being Vee finally decided to do W instead and a day later, of course! Vee needs no introduction here and  although her post is quite long (TLDR?), I promise you it will be one of the most fun posts you've read here. Here you go.


W – Women/World/Women in the World/ of the World/ for the World

Now that I've thrown a bunch of Ws at you .. let me begin with a quick and painfree intro – I am Maya’s Bestie .. or Bestest-ie .. I am 36 years old, trying to find my 'calling' or whatever that means. I live in Bangalore and in crippling self doubt. That should explain the anonymity. I love men and women in all their glory and their birthday suits. The Human Spirit, BIG fan! HUGE! Not in denial that we've fucked around with Nature ... an eternal, sometimes apologetic, optimist who wants to believe that Utopia is not fictional.

I am here, albeit a little late -- that's my character sketch .. I promise you, I have very little to do with it. I wanted to get my W in before the X prantz in with its perfect pink punctual pajamas (was supposed to do P) -- to guest-blog, make a proposition of sorts and maybe tug at your imaginations a little bit .. blindfold you, gently turn you around and let you go... Sounds like fun? Lets go... 

A thought germinated, a few years ago, when I came across this speech by Sojourner Truth she delivered in 1851 and continues to be relevant. Sojourner is one KICKASS woman.. Learn more about her on google.com


=========================

Sojourner Truth (1797-1883): Ain't I A Woman?
Delivered 1851
Women's Convention, Akron, Ohio 

Well, children, where there is so much racket there must be something out of kilter. I think that 'twixt the negroes of the South and the women at the North, all talking about rights, the white men will be in a fix pretty soon. But what's all this here talking about?

That man over there says that women need to be helped into carriages, and lifted over ditches, and to have the best place everywhere. Nobody ever helps me into carriages, or over mud-puddles, or gives me any best place! And ain't I a woman? Look at me! Look at my arm! I have ploughed and planted, and gathered into barns, and no man could head me! And ain't I a woman? I could work as much and eat as much as a man - when I could get it - and bear the lash as well! And ain't I a woman? I have borne thirteen children, and seen most all sold off to slavery, and when I cried out with my mother's grief, none but Jesus heard me! And ain't I a woman?

Then they talk about this thing in the head; what's this they call it? [member of audience whispers, "intellect"] That's it, honey. What's that got to do with women's rights or negroes' rights? If my cup won't hold but a pint, and yours holds a quart, wouldn't you be mean not to let me have my little half measure full?

Then that little man in black there, he says women can't have as much rights as men, 'cause Christ wasn't a woman! Where did your Christ come from? Where did your Christ come from? From God and a woman! Man had nothing to do with Him.

If the first woman God ever made was strong enough to turn the world upside down all alone, these women together ought to be able to turn it back , and get it right side up again! And now they is asking to do it, the men better let them.

Obliged to you for hearing me, and now old Sojourner ain't got nothing more to say. 

==================

My favourite part, “If my cup won't hold but a pint, and yours holds a quart, wouldn't you be mean not to let me have my little half measure full?” 

I digress .. this particular thought germinated here .. “If the first woman God ever made was strong enough to turn the world upside down all alone, these women together ought to be able to turn it back , and get it right side up again!” 

Do you see where I'm going with this? Let me drop the D bomb first and then explain. World Domination! 

Yep. You heard me right. Overthrowing systems .. all the systems, if required. Going back to the drawing board. Re-building, re-creating, from scratch. No more patchwork. A Whole new World, only this time around let the Women handle it. Men, sit back and enjoy the ride... At this juncture I suggest, in fact, I insist, that you listen to this … one of my all time faves!!

And ladies .. This is not about a Matriarchal Society. Na-ha. Its re-doing the damn world, all of it. Imagine running the world like you do your homes- Simple, efficient, safe, nurturing and food always in the fridge. 

Here are the six big questions I thought I could use to help me articulate this...

What? – The World belly up. A deep critical look at everything we've got going today... From Music and Lyrics to Cultures that they promise works only because they have been around for the longest time. 

The idea is to keep what works and throw the others out. Re-invent the wheel.

Why? - Oho!! So many many reasons. Because, lets face it, things are going south and fast, there is going to be a dire need for a new way of life and we will be ready on the day of reckoning. Because we want to save it. Because maybe we should try to make the world the better place and this could be the way to do it.
Why Women? Well, I'm not really going to answer that .. But let you think hard and answer that question on your own. If we still have questions, of course, Lets answer them together

And Also Why not? Its always good to try new things, right? How much worse can things get? Plus, Testosterone seems to need a break.

When? – Yesterday. 

Which? – eh?

Who? – Women .. Men .. People ... who are willing to see the long-term, sustainable benefit in this for all of us as a species.

How? - Hmmm... Good Question. Of course I don't know the answer to that question. But allow me to put out there what I know …. Its a long long list so forgive me if I miss out a lot. Also, here's another profound thought I had a few years ago .. so what do I know.

Let's begin with the Economics of things -- Only because I share this unique abusive personal relationship with the subject  (I don't value money and it doesn't value me. But we have to find a way to co-exist. Its hard, but we're trying to work it out)

Blind are those who don't see the wealth disparity everywhere. 

From where I sit this is how it looks; A few have so much to throw away that a hungry nation can be fed, yet .. somehow all of it not only gets wasted, but also causes irreparable damage to everyone and everything around on its way out and continues to eat into the system from within even after its been thrown-away. Cos you know? Nothing can be destroyed.

There's something grotesque in this picture, no? 

Anyway, we need to change this... How? I don't know yet, But lets all think?

The Law and Justice system. I live in Modi Chacha's India where Development is the D bomb. Chachaji in his empathetic-bartender-chai-wala-mann-ki-baat way has transformed the middle class into greedy technology whoring muppets who throw around rape jokes in impeccable English to look cool and carry around a smart phone with an entitled noodle eating camera that clicks pictures of your cleavage .. cos, you know .. it was there. So, chill.

Read the news in your country and you'll know what I'm saying …

The way I see it … Law and Order is the most corrupt way of keeping a certain class of people out of the way so that the Economy of things can go on UN-hindered. 

Overflowing Prisons and increasing number of Laws. We're creating more criminals by creating more crimes. From the helmet rule to the No-hijab rule, why are we telling people how to live their lives? 

There is a need for a simpler Good and Bad / Right and Wrong look at things. Reform as opposed to Punish perspective. Taking responsibility for harsher realities as a people, and not as Victims and Perps. 

Religion – Ugh!

Education – What are we teaching our children in the name of Education? A long hard look at what we let pass as Learning. A few of you may say, “my child's school is different.” or “I am home-schooling” … I am talking about children who are learning myopic views like Geographical boundaries are reasons to wage war, that religion is the most important thing in the world and is worth killing for. Your International Standard school educated children will grow up in same world.

If you ask me schools should be a way to tell and hear stories. To do things that are fun. To create, To laugh and find a way to make a sustainable living doing all of that. Education should allow children to grow without moulds and very little structure. 

Education not just for children for everyone who wants to continue to learn should be accessible, practical and as vast and open and safe as it can be.

The list goes on and on .. I am trying to put these thoughts on paper .. but.. I haven't begun procrastinating yet. 

In the meantime will leave you with this foetus … more like an un-fertilised egg of a thought. Before survival of the fittest turns into Survival of the stupidest … we need to steer things to the direction of love, sharing, empathy and peace. 

It maybe time for some kinda Action. Lets sit down over Wine, Vodka, Weed, Skype. Lets get on the driving seat. Lets re-define. Lets save the World's Ass!! 

and have fun doing it :)


Lets talk? I'm thinking secret handshakes and parallel economies ... you?

No comments: