Tuesday, April 12, 2016

J: Just awe-inspiring

I met a good old friend today. We were together in school and through the years, although we haven't managed to keep in touch all that much, I didn't feel the distance when we spoke today. In fact, we picked up right where we had left off. So, I've always admired this friend for various reasons. She was always a leader, and also the irritating class monitor who wrote your name on the board for talking in class. I've known her to always follow the rules, meet the expectations of everyone and yet stand up for what she believes in.

Today, she is a mother of two children, one of who is ill. I found out about this a few years ago and I haven't spoken to her since. I know it is cowardly of me but I didn't know what to say to her. I'm glad we went to see her today. The way in which she has handled the whole situation and turned it around is amazing! I know it helps that her 10 year old is a rockstar but I wouldn't expect anything less from him as her son. And when I told her that she is amazing, she said, "I did go through a phase of 'why me?' and what had I done to deserve this? But then eventually you accept it and find it in you to do whatever it takes to make the best of the circumstances." While I agree with what she said, I still think it takes a special kind of mother to handle a sick kid, with the kind of attitude she has and the gusto with which she is approaching treatment options. And all the while, she was counting her blessings saying, "I at least had great family support. I saw single mothers handling the same situation and I considered myself so lucky!"

It takes a very special kind of person to rise up to the occasion, especially where kids are concerned. And if all the kids going through a rough patch had a mum like her, the world would be so much happier.

No comments: