Friday, July 22, 2011

Here it comes, AGAIN!!


Disclaimer: This is a post written under the “birthday blues” and a severe bout of depression. Read at your own risk.

I love birthdays. Other people’s birthdays, that is. I love to make it special for the concerned person. Whether it is to buy them gifts that I know they’ll like. Or to surprise people with things they’ll love on their birthdays. And I like to think that I’m pretty good at doing such things.

When it comes to my own, well…I’ll just say it’s best avoided. I can’t wait for the day to be over. I wish people wouldn’t make a big hoohaa about it. It’s not about my age, I  really can’t be bothered about how old I am or will be. It’s not about growing older. But as the people in my life would tell you, I have been very grumpy on my birthdays in the recent years. They would probably also tell you that I’m not exactly on my best behavior on my birthday. I really can’t tell you why it is so. I used to think it was PMS-induced but now, well, I know it is not.

And speaking about birthdays, earlier I used to love it when long lost friends used to actually remember my birthday and call me. It used to be so touching that people actually bothered to remember and call too! At least, I loved the fact that you would get to speak to people at least once or twice a year, on birthdays. But now, ever since FB reminders happened, even good friends think they can just get away with a post on my wall. Don’t even get me started on the random acquaintance, who thinks it is necessary to “wish” me and the usual “wassup” stories which follow.

I know I’m a bit touchy-feely about such a silly thing. But maybe it is just me! Maybe I’m flawed. But off late, it got me thinking. Maybe I just behave all grown up. Maybe I do expect that people would do something nice for me on my birthday. OK, I’ll admit it. Maybe that is what it is! But the best thing is that this time around, I decided that I’m not waiting around for somebody to do something for me. I did it myself!! It may sound a little pathetic, but it’s not. Really! And boy, does it feel good!

You should try it. You owe it to yourself.
Indulge, splurge, whatever makes you feel good….Just do it.

What? I told you to read at your own risk!!

No comments: