Friday, April 16, 2010

I wanna go home



One of the hardest things I’ve had to do so far is to move away from home. From the past few days, I’ve been missing home terribly. So just to make myself feel a little better, I decided to make a list of a few things from back home that I miss most. Of course, the list is not comprehensive. It’s just what came to mind first and at thins point in time. Here goes.

·
 Mom’s cooking. I miss those dosas and rotis and the very fact that she would make them on demand and knows just the way I like them without me having to say anything, I miss you too, mom and not just your cooking.

·
 My sisters…I enjoyed sharing all the fun times, fights, not to mention the clothes with them. We did quarrel quite a lot but we shared so much, that the fights seem so insignificant now.

·
  My friends, my support system. I have lots of friends back home and more importantly a few very close friends, who were my world. I miss the fun we had, all the drunken nights, meaningless laughs and all the times we stuck by each other when anyone was going through a bad patch.

·
 Most of all I miss my best friend, V. Though we are still in touch, it’s not the same. I can’t run to her at the drop of a hat. I miss that.

·
The chats, especially the panipuris at the friendly neighborhood bhaiyya. I was a regular, almost his favourite customer. My mouth is watering at the very thought of those perfect panipuris.

·
My room.  Though now I do have a home of my own, it is not the same as my room, my own space and the fun of not letting anyone, especially my sisters to enter/stay there. The secrecy was half the fun.

·
 My cousins. I miss how we got together at anyone’s birthday and made sure that the birthday girl had plenty of fun and gifts.

·
All the regular food outlets that I used to frequent. Yeah, I know this is the third time I’m mentioning food. I love food!

·
I miss my bike, my baby. We had a ball, my bike and me.

·           I miss the feeling of familiarity, the feeling of being “home”. No matter how long I stay here or how many people I get to know, I’ll still be a foreigner. Or will I?
     Everybody says that things change with time and you will start learning to call a new place home. I’m not so sure about that. I’ll let you know in a few years. But I’m sure that even then I’ll still miss home as much as I do now.

No comments: